The screen of Green or SCROG is a viable method to increase the number of yields and enhance the quality of your cannabis plants. This technique is very helpful to growers with a small growing room as it can make the cannabis grow in small spaces. So how to SCROG cannabis?
Using the screen to the cannabis plants, it will instruct to grow in horizontal level for the time of the vegetative stage. With this technique, the cannabis plant will get an equal amount of light. To do SCROG, you need to placed the screen over the young plants.
While they grow, every branch of the plant will teach to lean back flat with the use of a twisting tie or any material to use to tight everything in the right area. Other growers used the screen alone by tucking growth edge as the plants grow taller enough. The purpose of using the SCROG method is to keep the growth of tips evenly spaced and balanced height until the whole screen will cover the vegetation.
Compare to other techniques; SCROG is not producing supreme cola. The flowering area will receive an equal amount of light. The cannabis plant will make a response by constantly dispensing the growth hormones in all parts of plants that produce buds of the same size. A small number of plants will be used with this method.
Using a cupboard size in a square meter, one cannabis plant will need to fill all the space quickly. The vegetation period is the same as to unrestricted growth of the plants that are not often topped. You can see the branches lower on the plant and getting enough hormones and less amount of light. The plant will now be trained to lie down in order to get an even amount of light like all the plants.
Things Needed to SCROG Cannabis
- Cannabis plant you prefer to grow
- Screen (about 10 cm spacing)
- 12 liter-size pots (or as the bigger size you tend to use)
Step by Step Method on How to SCROG Cannabis
- Place the screen at least 20 cm above the pot.
- Provide every cannabis plant, a screen with 30 cm x 30 cm.
- Trained the new grow branches under the screen to stimulate to grow in lateral position.
- Allow the screen to carry the branches by tying them in place.
- Proceed to instruct the plants until the ¾ part of the screen is covered by plants.
- Turn over to the flowering stage.
- Wait for the plant to occupy the entire space while the flower of cannabis is developed.
- Always check for unnecessary growth under the screen.
Who can Perform SCROG?
This growing method is perfect for a cannabis grower who does not only live in an area where cannabis is legal but also with little amounts. Like for example, many states in the US allow you to cultivate just less or up to five cannabis plants. If you still want to get much weed in your garden, then the five plants will not be enough. Doing the SCROG technique will let you get the most of it, especially if you grow with just a restricted number.
The small-scale cannabis growers are not only getting the benefits of using this technique. SCROG method is very useful for cannabis growers that cultivate large Sativas in smaller growing spaces. Just control the growth of the cannabis plant until each amount of light hits the plants instead of being wasted just to hit on the floor.
SCROG is Very Useful Because:
- The better light issuance will help you produce more yields.
- This kind of technique will almost use by everyone.
- Growers that used it before improving the yield they harvest.
- You can use even the usual fluorescent lights.
Why You Should Use this Technique
You can use this during the flowering stage or during the vegetative stage. The SCROG provides a few main purposes, such as:
- It helps to stretch out the branches and reveal direct light that helps to increase yields.
- It can stretch the branches out to have enough air circulation to the plant that helps to avoid rotting of the branches.
- This technique gives additional support to branches to break if it produces bigger-sized buds.
- All the branches that stick out above the screen will easily fill out with thick buds, and the leaves below the screen will be shaded.
- You can get the most out of the plant from the branches if you use direct sources.
The screen of Green Helpful Tips
1. Choose the Right Genetic Carefully
Using the SCROG method will be required to choose the right genetic and knowledge with such cannabis. Most of the Indica plants commonly stretch when using a 12/12 lighting schedule. You just need to occupy the existing nodes during changes of photoperiod. The small Indica will be required to give almost all the nodes they needed to grow enough-sized buds.
The contrasting end of the scale, which has been more Sativas can expand to a great extent with the same growing conditions. If you flip the Sativas within two to three nodes above the level of the screen, you will see a great expansion of the branch. You don’t need to worry about these tips as most strains work well using this growing technique. Other genetics will perform outstanding, just try this technique, and all your efforts will be rewarded.
2. Improve Airflow
Maintain your cannabis plant’s wet and dry stage. Because of evaporation, improving airflow plays a very important role. The gas exchange at foliage areas where the gas takes place that shift into the underside part of the foliage.
The SCROG develops a flat mat between the branches of the plant to help for better airflow. You just need to keep an eye on the plant to get efficient air circulation below and above are of the screen.
3. Proper Maintenance
Remove the fan foliage on the bottom is to help the growth in the canopy. Remove the leaves and the new growth foliage below the screen. The foliage under the screen cannot get enough light makes them riskier to catch mold and mildew, and common cannabis plant diseases.
Now you know how to SCROG cannabis to benefit from the bountiful harvest of your favorite crop. It provides better light for your cannabis plants and ensures they grow in the right direction with dense buds.